Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy & Smith Institute for Political Economy and Philosophy, Chapman University, 2018-
Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, Department of Philosophy, Monash University, 2018-
Lecturer (Assistant Professor), Department of Philosophy, Monash University, 2014-2018
PhD Philosophy 2014 University of Arizona
MA Philosophy 2011 University of Arizona
BA Philosophy 2004 University of Colorado, Boulder
- On Philosophy, Politics, and Economics. 2020 (under contract). Princeton University Press, with Gerald Gaus.
- The Ethics of Capitalism. 2019. Oxford University Press, with Daniel Halliday.
Creating Wealth: Ethical and Economic Perspectives 2nd edition. 2013. Cognella, with David Schmidtz.
- “Agreeing to Disagree: Diversity, Political Contractualism, and the Open Society.” 2020. The Journal of Politics. 82(3): 1142-1155.
- “On Minimal Morality.” 2020. Analytic Philosophy. 61(1): 46-56.
- “Self-Ownership as Personal Sovereignty” 2019. Social Philosophy & Policy. 36(2): 116-133.
- “Democracy Unchained: Contractualism, Individualism, and Independence in Buchanan’s Democratic Theory.” 2019. Homo Oeconomicus. 35: 25-40.
- “Two of a Kind: Are Norms of Honor a Species of Morality?” 2019. Biology & Philosophy 34(3), with Toby Handfield.
- “Constructivism, Representation, and Stability: Path-Dependence in Public Reason Theories of Justice.” 2019. Synthese 196(1): 429-450.
- “Honor and Violence: An Account of Feuds, Duels, and Honor Killings.” 2018. Human Nature 29(4):371–389, with Toby Handfield.
- “Greenbeards and Signaling: Why Morality isn’t Indispensable.” 2018. Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 41(e103), with Toby Handfield and Julian Garcia.
- “Evaluating Bad Norms.” 2018. Social Philosophy & Policy. 35(1): 196-216.
- “Political Stability in the Open Society.” 2018. American Journal of Political Science. 62(2):398-409, with Kevin Vallier.
- “Peer Punishment Promotes Enforcement of Bad Social Norms.” 2017. Nature Communications 8, with Klaus Abbink, Lata Gangadharan, and Toby Handfield.
- “The Ethics of Legislative Vote Trading.” 2016. Political Studies 64(3): 614-629.
- “The Fragility of Consensus: Public Reason, Diversity and Stability.” 2015. The European Journal of Philosophy 23(4): 933-954, with Kevin Vallier.
- “Adam Smith and the Social Contract.” 2015. The Adam Smith Review. 8: 195-216.
- “When Justice Demands Inequality.” 2015. The Journal of Moral Philosophy. 12(2): 172-194, with Keith Hankins.
- Translated into Polish as “KIEDY SPRAWIEDLIWOŚĆ DOMAGA SIĘ NIERÓWNOŚCI“
- “Uniqueness and Symmetry in Bargaining Theories of Justice.” 2014. Philosophical Studies. 167(3): 683-699.
- “Ordering Anarchy.” 2014. Rationality, Markets and Morals. 5(1): 30-46.
- “Reconciling Justice and Pleasure in Epicurean Contractarianism.” 2013. Ethical Theory and Moral Practice. 16(2): 423-436.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- “The Right to Own the Means of Production.” 2019. In Jahel Queralt and Bas Van Der Vossen (eds.) Economic Liberties as Human Rights. Routledge Press, with Chris Freiman.
- “When Equality Matters.” 2018. In David Boonin (ed.) The Palgrave Handbook of Philosophy and Public Policy. Palgrave.
- “On The Calculus of Consent.” 2017. In Jacob Levy (ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Classics in Contemporary Political Theory. Oxford University Press, with Gerald Gaus.
- “Social Contractarianism” 2017. In Brennan, Jason, Bas van der Vossen, & David Schmidtz (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Libertarianism. Routledge.
- “Rational Choice and the Original Position: The (Many) Models of Rawls and Harsanyi.” 2015. In Timothy Hinton (ed.) The Original Position. Cambridge University Press, with Gerald Gaus.
- “Bankers, Vampires, and Organ Sellers: Who Can You Trust?” 2015. In Garnett, Robert, Paul Lewis, and Lenore Ealy (eds.) Commerce and Community: Ecologies of Social Cooperation. Routledge, with David Schmidtz.
- “The Virtues of Justice.” 2014. In Timpe, Kevin and Craig A. Boyd (eds.) Virtues and their Vices. Oxford University Press, with David Schmidtz.
- “Social Evolution.” 2013. In Gaus, Gerald and Fred D’Agostino The Routledge Companion to Social and Political Philosophy. Routledge, with Gerald Gaus.
- “Taxation.” 2020. The International Encyclopedia of Ethics. Hugh LaFollette (ed.), with Daniel Halliday.
- “Contemporary Approaches to the Social Contract.” 2017. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, with Fred D’Agostino and Gerald Gaus.
- “The Price of Sociality: Review of ‘Jonathan Birch, The Philosophy of Social Evolution‘.” 2018. Metascience.
- Review of “John Tomasi, Free Market Fairness.” 2014. Public Choice 159(1-2): 309-311.
- Review of “Charles Tilly, Credit and Blame.” 2013. The European Legacy: Toward New Paradigms. 18(7): 967.
- Review of “Herbert Gintis, The Bounds of Reason: Game Theory and the Unification of the Behavioral Sciences.” 2011. The Journal of Value Inquiry 45(1): 85-90.
Invited Talks and Presentations
2019 Waseda University (Tokyo, Japan), Harvard Business School, PPE Society Meeting
2018 Texas Tech University, Monash University, PPE Society Meeting
2017 Australasian Seminar in Early Modern Philosophy (University of Sydney), PPE Society Meeting, American Philosophical Association (Pacific)
2016 Southern Economics Association, Social Philosophy & Policy, Seoul National University, Australasian Association of Philosophy, American Philosophical Association (Pacific) University of Arizona
2015 University of Melbourne, Australasian Association of Philosophy, Center for Moral, Political and Social Theory (Australian National University), American Philosophical Association (Pacific), Australian National University
2014 New Zealand Association for Philosophy, American Philosophical Association
2013 London School of Economics, University of Utah, University of Manchester
2012 University of New Orleans
2011 Southern Economics Association, Rational Choice Contractarianism: 25 Years after Morals by Agreement (York University)
Utopia and Dystopia in Film and Fiction (w/ Michael Valdez Moses), Chapman University, Fall 2019
David Hume (Junior/Senior Seminar, Chapman University, Spring 2020
Cause, Effect, and Freedom (w/ Erik Kimbrough), Chapman University, Fall 2019
Utopia and Dystopia in Film and Fiction (w/ Michael Valdez Moses), Chapman University, Fall 2019
Philosophy in Literature, Chapman University, Spring 2019
Games and Decisions, Chapman University, Inter-term 2019
Global Justice, Chapman University, Fall 2018
The Tragedy in Morality (w/Brennan McDavid), Chapman University, Fall 2018
Presidential Seminar (w/ Jan Osborn), Chapman University, Fall 2018
Political Philosophy, Monash University, 2014-2017
Democratic Theory, Monash University, 2015-2017
Hobbes and Spinoza (Honors Seminar), Monash University, 2017
Human Rights Theory 1 (w/ Linda Barclay), Monash University, 2017
Conventions and Norms (Honors Seminar), Monash University, 2015,2016
Moral Psychology (Honors Seminar), Monash University, 2015
Human Rights Theory 1 (w/ Robbie Arrell), Monash University, 2015,2016
Rationality and Morality (Honors Seminar), Monash University, 2014
The Social Contract, University of Arizona, 2013
The Ethics & Economics of Wealth Creation, University of Arizona, 2009
Matthew Ringenbergs (w/ Toby Handfield) HD1, Monash University, 2018-2019
Lucy Mayne (Primary) HD1, Monash University, 2016-2018
James McGuire (Primary) HD1, Monash University, 2016-2018
Jade Popper (Completed), Monash University, 2017
Andrew Belyea-Tate (Completed), Monash University, 2016
Lucy Mayne (Completed), Monash University, 2015
Selected Grants, Honors, And Awards
2017-20 Discovery Project DP170102834, “Informal Sanctions and Bad Social Norms,” with Klaus
Abbink, Lata Gangadharan, Toby Handfield, and David Skarbek, $231,500,
2020 Discourse Initiative Grant, $15,000
2020 Grant for Experimental Pilot, $4,000
2015-18 Dean’s Commendation for Early Career Researcher
2016 Monash Focus Program Grant, $50,000
2014-15 SoPHIS Research Grants
2015 New Appointee Research Grant, $5,000
2013 Fink Prize for the Most Outstanding Graduate Student
2013 University of Arizona Excellence Dissertation Fellowship
2012 Bernard Marcus Fellowship
2011 H.B. Earhart Fellowship
2010 Bernard Marcus Fellowship
2009 Thomas W. Smith Fellowship
2021 Organizer, Summer Seminar on PPE
2019-20 Search Committee, Research Associate, Smith Institute for Political Economy and Philosophy
2015-18 SoPHIS Honors Coordinator, Monash University
2014-18 Philosophy Honors Coordinator, Monash University
2017 External Reviewer, Council for the Humanities of the Netherlands
2017 Project Editor, Social Philosophy and Policy
2016 External Reviewer, Organization for Scientific Research
2015 Organizing Committee, Australasian Association of Philosophy Conference
2015 External Reviewer, American Academy in Berlin
2014 Project Editor, Social Philosophy and Policy
2012-14 Assistant Editor, Social Philosophy and Policy
Adam Smith Review
American Philosophical Quarterly
American Political Science Review
American Journal of Political Science
Australasian Journal of Philosophy
British Journal of Political Science
Canadian Journal of Philosophy
Cambridge University Press
Economics & Philosophy
Ethical Theory and Moral Practice
Japanese Journal of Political Science
Journal of Applied Philosophy
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization
Journal of Economic Psychology
Journal of Philosophical Research
Journal of Politics
Journal of Political Philosophy
Journal of Value Inquiry
Oxford Studies in Experimental Philosophy
Oxford Studies in Political Philosophy
Pacific Philosophical Quarterly
Philosophy, Politics, and Economics
Philosophy of Science
Polish Journal of Philosophy
Public Affairs Quarterly
Social Theory and Practice
Social Philosophy & Policy